BusinessTop News

Mustard accounts for 57% of space sown below rabi crops

As rabi sowing gathers momentum, rapeseed-mustard is seen rising as favorite alternative of farmers in North India. As of October 29, mustard acreage accounted for some 57 per cent of the entire planted space of 43.29 lakh hectares (lh) sown until now.

The whole acreage is 1.eight per cent larger in contrast with final yr’s 42.52 lh throughout the identical interval.

Greater market costs for mustard coupled with good residual soil moisture left by prolonged rains are aiding the sowing development. The whole oilseeds acreage is up 26.58 per cent at 25.33 lh. Of this mustard, accounts for a serious chunk. The truth is, mustard space can also be larger by 26 per cent over similar interval final yr.

Main planting of mustard has been taken up in Rajasthan at 16.9 lh, adopted by Uttar Pradesh at 5.96 lh and Madhya Pradesh at 1.25 lh.

The post-monsoon rainfall continues to be good throughout the nation, which has acquired 38 per cent extra precipitation than regular throughout October 1-27. About 85 per cent of the realm has acquired regular to giant extra rainfall, whereas the remaining 15 per cent had witnessed poor rains.

Stay storage within the 133 main reservoirs monitored by Central Water Fee stood at 141.724 billion cubic metres (BCM), which is 82 per cent of the entire capability as on October 28.

In addition to mustard, the opposite crop which has witnessed a progress in acreage is maize, whereas all different crops are trailing final yr’s ranges. Maize acreage stood at 0.83 lh, marginally larger than 0.77 lh. Coarse cereals, together with jowar, have been planted in Maharashtra at 1.52 lh, adopted by Karnataka at 1.39 lh and Tamil Nadu at 0.91 lh.

Amongst pulses, gram, the primary crop for the season, acreage is decrease at 7.77 lhcompared with 9.36 lh within the year-ago interval. Rajasthan reported a pulses acreage of 4.84 lh, adopted by Karnataka at 2.76 lh and Madhya Pradesh at 0.51 lh.

Cereals resembling rice and wheat are trending decrease than final yr’s ranges. Rice has been planted on 3.71 lh in contrast with 4.34 lh within the year-ago interval. Rice planting is especially occurring in Tamil Nadu, the place the realm stood at 3.28 lh, adopted by Telangana at 0.29 lh. Sowing of wheat stood at 0.34 lh in contrast with 0.35 lh a in similar interval a yr in the past.

 


Source link

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Back to top button